With children heading back to school after the Christmas break, drivers are being reminded that ‘20 is Plenty’ as part of a road safety campaign to help keep pupils safe.
The ’20 is Plenty’ scheme is run by Staffordshire County Council and encourages drivers to reduce their speed to a maximum of 20mph outside schools.
Each term around 16 Staffordshire schools take part in the scheme, which is in place when pupils arrive at school in the morning and at home time in the afternoon. Speed Indication Devices (SIDs) which display the speed of a vehicle as it passes by are used to encourage drivers to slow down.
Helen Fisher, Cabinet Support Member for Highways and Transport at Staffordshire County Council said: “This is an important scheme that helps to keep school children and our roads amongst the safest in the country.
“We’re in the eighth year of the scheme now and so far over 200 schools across the county have benefited from it. The campaign calls on drivers not to put pupils lives at risk by driving above 20 miles an hour when outside schools. The scheme is also encouraging more parents and children to walk and cycle to school which helps to reduce congestion at school times.”
The ’20 is Plenty’ School SIDs will be at the following schools for the January 2018 term:
- St Joseph and St Teresa, High Street, Burntwood
- Netherstowe, St Chads Road, Lichfield
- Ryecroft Middle, Ashbourne Road, Rocester
- Thomas Barnes, School Lane, Hopwas Tamworth
- Florendine Primary School, Florendine Street, Amington, Tamworth
- Moorhill Community Primary, Pye Green Road, Cannock WS11 5RN
- Chadsmoor Infants School, Kingsway, Chadsmoor, Cannock WS11 6EU
- St Nicholas First Belvedere Gardens, Chillington Dr, Codsall, Wolverhampton WV8 1AN
- Cheslyn Hay High & Primary, Saredon Road, Cheslyn Hay
- The Richard Clarke First, Abbots Bromley, Rugeley WS15 3BT
- Waterhouses Primary Waterfall La, Stoke-on-Trent ST10 3HY
- Thursfield Primary School, Chapel Lane, Harriseahead, ST7 4JL
- Clayton Hall, Clayton Lane, Newcastle, ST5 3DN
- Oxhey First School, Pennine Way, Biddulph, ST8 7EB