Staffordshire County Council officers have been working through the night to help residents at Standon Court, Tamworth, after it was damaged by fire.
Helen Riley, Staffordshire County Council’s deputy chief executive, said:
We are shocked by the incident at Standon House and our thoughts go out to those affected by it.
Residents’ families have been contacted and we are working with them and partners to find suitable accommodation.
Four residents have already moved to other homes in the Tamworth area and we are looking at the needs of the remaining 13.”
Notes for editors
Standon House is a privately-run care home. Following an incident like this Staffordshire County Council has a safeguarding duty to all residents.
There are other separate parts of the Standon House complex which are unaffected by the fire and residents will remain there, supported by care givers and families, in the short term.